As a kid my favorite treat from the ice cream truck were these Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream bars from Good Humor. I remember hearing the ding from the truck and immediately deciding in my mind that no matter what the choices are, I'm getting the Strawberry Shortcake! My 13 year old has since claimed them as her favorite ice cream treat too so I thought it was time to try to make a cone cake version.
I have a number of thoughts and tips on making these, which I'll detail below. But most important: I wanted the middle of the cone to be strawberry, just like in the ice cream, and it took some thought on how to do this. I ultimately decided on making a cake-ball style filling and add the vanilla batter around it. It worked beautifully! BUT - in my opinion it is not worth the effort unless achieving that look is really important to you. It would've been WAY less time consuming to alternate vanilla with strawberry batter - and the taste would've been virtually the same.
The printable recipe is below the photos, but you can also download it HERE.
Strawberry cake mix - I used Duncan Hines
Frosting to mix with cake - I used vanilla
Freeze dried strawberries - I bought them on Amazon: So Natural brand, you'll need 2 packs
Frozen (thawed) or fresh strawberries (I used fresh)
2. Scoop some cake into a bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of frosting, just enough to make the cake stick together, but not so much that it is wet. I used vanilla frosting that I had on hand.
3. Mix with your hands until the frosting is blended.
4. Press about a tablespoon of cake into the bottom of the cone.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack (don't skip this step!)
10. Add pureed strawberries and heavy cream, blend well.
11. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time.